Women in Computing30 Sep 2015
- The Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas Women in Computing (MINK WIC) conference is a regional meeting that provides young women an opportunity to explore opportunities in computing, to network with other women from academia, industry, and government, and to create friendship among women in the region who share the same interest and passion for computing.
Why encourage women in computing?
- We’re an underutilized resource.
- Better representation improves performance. “When the majority of students in the test room are men, women tend to achieve lower scores than when the majority are women.”
- We’re better than we think. “Moreover, simply asking women to fill out a demographics question indicating their sex prior to taking the test (as all students do when they take the SAT, LSAT, GRE, etc.) can lower their test scores.”
- We’re better than some others think.